At STANFORD BAIRD:
- We rely upon the knowledge and wisdom learned from previous projects.
- We believe that your project should be focused on addressing issues incisively and accurately, but with concern for cost.
- When they are required, we work with many highly competent consultants and believe in matching specific project needs to particular individuals.
- We utilize state-of-the-art computer systems for design and communication.
- Our ultimate goal is to produce a result that will exceed all of your expectations.
- STANFORD BAIRD does not believe in providing services that the client neither wants nor needs, and will provide any level of services deemed optimal by the client for each individual project. If, however, you wish “full” five-phase design services, they can be described as follows:
PHASES OF A TYPICAL PROJECT
- Planning – selects the site and establishes the project guidelines and budget.
- Programming – lists the individual spaces [rooms] and their net sizes. Using empirically determined gross-to-net square foot conversion factors, the gross size of the building required to accommodate the programmed spaces can be approximated. Finally, by using a square foot cost [which is largely a function of the complexity of the design and level of finishes], the construction cost can be estimated and compared to the budget. If adjustments are required to the program, budget or square foot cost, they can be made before any design work begins.
- Design & Construction is usually defined by the following phases:
- Schematic Design [20%] – establishes basic floor plans and elevations.
- Design Development [15%] – develops the schematic design, including both design elements and details; and establishes the building systems, including materials, mechanical and electrical systems.
- Contract Documents [35%] – drawings, specifications and boilerplate legal documents that will be used to bid or negotiate the construction with the Contractor[s].
- Bidding/Negotiation [5%] – selects and produces a contract with the Contractor[s].
- Construction Administration [25%] – oversees the construction of the project and any post-construction items during the warranty period.
Design & Construction includes the following standard engineering disciplines:
- Civil Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering – Plumbing & HVAC [Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning]
- Electrical Engineering [includes Power & Lighting Diagrams and Life Safety Systems]